Thursday, November 22, 2007

The Artist in Me



I am also a photographer. I took photography for 3 years in high school and the first 2 years I really hated it. I hated doing the stupid assignments and all that. Whenever I was given an assignment over the weekend I would always end up doing it right before class on Monday and just take shots of anything I could. Everything always came out very average and stupid. But everyone else did this too. I continued taking photo because it was easy and the teacher was chill. In my 3rd year of photography the photo III students were mixed in with a photo 2 class. There were only a few photo III students and out teacher really let us loose. He didn't really care what we were doing as long as we were working. In this class I discovered a new side of me...the artist in me that I was sure did not exist. I started shooting candid photos of my toddler cousins and, to be honest, they were beautiful. I love it. I loved shooting the photos and developing them in the dark room. Working in the dark room was such an escape for me...it was so peaceful and I could just lose myself in the calm solitary environment (since I was really the only person in the class that loved to be in there). With the arrival and 'take-over' of digital photography this time in the darkroom is lost. Sad. It is really what I love most about photography. After graduation I got out of photography as I really didn't have access to a darkroom. I inherited a sweet Nikon 35mm SLR camera from my grandfather with a handful of lenses and I started playing around with it a little. I took it to the Women's College World Series with me and experimented with sports photography. Unfortunately I could not develop these myself but I got some really great shots still. I have started shooting at Terps games now and am getting some great results also. I will post them. My next step is the move to digital. I am scared and intimidated and am not ready to accept the new artistic style that digital photography is. When it comes to things like this I am a total traditionalist. But I think I'm getting ready to go for it. Before I know it people aren't going to be doing film work at all anymore. ::Sigh::

5 Comments:

At November 26, 2007 at 6:21 AM , Blogger bonnie said...

This is a really nice post. It is that very different side of you. I get it about the peace in the darkroom. So meditative.

 
At November 26, 2007 at 7:04 PM , Blogger bonnie said...

Did you read my blog today? who else would visit from College Park? If not you it's a mystery. Hope you get some sleep tonite after Kaplan. xoxoxo

 
At December 5, 2007 at 7:19 AM , Blogger Jim Baker said...

hey! these shots are GREAT! What lens were you using? I'm excited that your making the jump to digital... its a great place to be.

I've never taken a photo class or anything , never developed film but I hear its a pretty amazing experience, I'm very content however in the digital world. I'm headed off to a 3 month intensive school of photography... but its all digital.

did you shoot the pics above this post too? they all look great. i'm impressed. I've never done sports photography because I'm not very into sports, I should give it a try sometime.

cheers
jim baker

 
At December 8, 2007 at 3:59 PM , Blogger bonnie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At December 8, 2007 at 4:02 PM , Blogger healthyterp said...

Hi Jim! Great to get some feedback! Yes I take all the pictures I post on my blog. I was using a Nikon 70-210 zoom lens. It's my baby. I love it. But its soooo old. My autofocus sucks so all the shots I take are using manual focus - its not easy when you're shooting a fast paced bball game haha!! (But candid's are my fav anyways...I love capturing emotion). But I manage with my manual focus haha. Using a lens with fast autofocus would be a real treat! And these pics are all film - I got them put on a cd so I can upload them to my comp. Hopefully I will be getting a nice digital camera for xmas!

Ooo photography school - that should be so awesome! Where is it? My cousin is real into digital but like I said, I'm intimidated haha. I'll adjust....eventually. I will continue to post pics on my blog.

Thanks again
Jess

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home